By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

September Begins

This past week could not end quickly enough for me. Last weekend, I started coughing a little (allergies, I thought). It progressed to the point of feeling like death warmed over. Slowly, I have become able to breathe again and this morning, I was able to gas up the car and go to the store without collapsing into a wretched little lump. I'm going to survive! I only missed work for 2 days, but 2 more wouldn't have hurt me. Still, I'm glad I went in yesterday so I could take care of the multiple emails and phone messages my agents had left for me. I won't have to deal with those things next Tuesday. (Hurray for 3-day weekends!)

The worst part about feeling so weak and miserable was that I needed (and wanted) to study and ponder some important gospel principles and I just didn't have the strength or the focus of mind to accomplish much. I did manage to write something of an outline of the most basic principles that I need to concentrate on incorporating into my life on a much more in-depth basis, and to write a list of questions to guide my scripture study for awhile. This should help me have some direction. I have also been reading a marvelous book,
Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy by Richard G. Scott. Elder Scott (of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles) offers some thought-provoking concepts and counsel. Normally, I likely would have finished the book by now, but, in addition to illness slowing me down, I have read more slowly, thinking more carefully about what I am reading.

Paying attention--what a concept!

The weather has been a few degrees cooler here and the rain has slowed, although we are still about 20 inches ahead of what is normal for this point in the year.

This coming week, the first week of September, is always difficult for me. 5 September will be the 28th anniversary of losing my children in a car wreck, and 8 September will be the anniversary of their funeral. I know they are safe and happy and waiting for me, but it still hurts my heart to remember. There are many happy memories, of course, but there are sad ones, too.

I wish you all a happy holiday weekend.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger T. F. Stern said...

While in the attitude of fasting I read your article and it touched me to the center. I recall a young woman standing to bear her testimony many years ago. She had lost her first child about two thirds the way through her pregnancy and the loss still haunted her thoughts because she had not wanted to become pregnant so early in her marriage. I had only known her as a mature mother of three many years later and wondered how long she had been holding onto the ghost of her lost child, enough to finally let go. I am grateful for my knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Great Plan of Salvation. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts as I complete my fast today.

7:38 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you, T.F.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I am sorry to hear you were so sick and weak. I hope the three day weekend has done you good.

I think of your little ones from time to time. I never knew them in this life, but I know them a little from your words.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you, barb. I am feeling better, though still not 100%. I am very grateful for this 3-day weekend. It has given me a chance to rest and recover more.

Thank you, too, for your words about my little ones. I am grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that I will see them again.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Titus Todd said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I admire your strength of character and spirit.

There must be something that comes out in more abundance this time of year. My allergies have picked up in the last week or so and come with sinus headaches. I can understand how health, namely allergies, can put a damper on some worthwhile pursuits!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you, Titus.

Yes, that congestion, whether its from allergies or a cold or flu or some combination of those, seems to interfere with life! I just felt like I couldn't focus on anything, plus I felt really tired. I'm doing much better this week--still a little snuffley, but better.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home