By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Friday, October 19, 2007

A Verse at a Time

Lately I have been studying the scriptures in a different way than I have before. I have in the past usually read from beginning to end, whether it was the entire Bible or Book of Mormon or Doctrine & Covenants or Pearl of Great Price, or a book within one of those, or a chapter. That is certainly useful for getting an overview of what is in the scriptures, but I tended to not linger too long over any one verse and think deeply about what it meant.

What I am doing now is selecting a verse (from the Topical Guide, say, or a reference in a book) and studying it, thinking about what all it means, and most of all, thinking about how it applies to me in my life today. I am also trying to not fall into the usual pattern of applying the scripture to mankind in general, but to apply it to me specifically. It is an eye-opening experience. I feel like I am learning more, seeing more.

I haven't yet tried using Strong's Concordance to see what the Greek and Hebrew words might mean that might give me additional insight. Right now, I am just thinking about how the scripture relates to me and how it can help me to live the gospel more thoroughly. I pray for understanding, too, because that can open the way for additional insight and ideas.

I feel as if I am remembering more and seeing things that I can actually put into practice. That is an important part of the gospel--putting it into action. James tells us to be doers of the word and not hearers only, and he is right. (See James 1:22).

There are, of course, many ways to study the scriptures, and I think it is a good thing to try different ways and not just study the same way all the time. A different approach can yield more treasure.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are so many ways to focus on the Scriptures. I think the approach that you speak of is good as it makes the Scriptures person to you.

11:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

typo ...it makes the sciptures PERSONAL to you.

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really cool idea. Sometimes I think we drive too much to the finish line, only without realizing what we missed in the race.

It'd also be cool to look up the scriptures in the cross references.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Hi, Barb and Mark! Thanks for the comments. It does make the scriptures more personal and more applicable. I know I can easily get caught up in trying to finish scriptures and not focusing enough. The cross-references are a good idea, too. I think they help understand a specific concept better.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home