By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Monday, November 29, 2004

Rainy Days and Mondays

It is rainy today in Oklahoma. And cold. On top of that, it's Monday. On top of that, I have the flu. I've had it all weekend, but thought I was getting better last night. However, I've had a bit of a relapse, so I stayed home from work so as not to inflict my germs on my co-workers. Not to mention I don't think I could have sat up all day.

Now, as if all that weren't enough, today is my birthday. I tend to get introspective on my birthdays, thinking about all that is wrong with me and what I need to do to fix it. So with that depressingly long list staring me in the face, you can imagine what a miserable little lump I am today.

Or, rather, what a miserable little lump I would be if I weren't so optimistic. So while it is true I was in pretty bad shape earlier this morning, I am actually starting to perk up. After all, I won't be sick forever, nor will it be cold, rainy, and a Monday forever. And although I do have an awfully long list of things about me that I need to fix, I can fix them (if I just will).

I have certainly been praying my little heart out today, trying to get a handle on a lot of things. But the prayer time is comforting, too. To have a Heavenly Father who will patiently listen as I pour out my heart and mind to Him is a wondrous gift. Not only do I feel listened to and comforted, but I am starting to get an inflow of ideas and the determination to keep trying, to keep working at this life that is mine.

If there was one thing that I wish I could package and give to everyone, it would be this gift of optimism, of feeling that life is indeed worth living and the trials and afflictions are opportunities to grow and become what Heavenly Father would have me be.

I'm not up all the time, but I find that the periods of discouragement and self-pity and depression don't last very long anymore. I'm not perfect, but I can do things to improve. Hope springs eternal...!

How about some reverse birthday wishes? On my birthday, I wish all of you a lovely, wonderful day, full of joy and optimism!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Peggy Snow Cahill said...

Happy Birthday!!

4:44 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, ladies! Lizzy, I'm way ahead of you age-wise, so hang in there!

5:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home