By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, June 11, 2005

More Recommendations

My back hurts too much for me to think of anything clever and witty to write about. Instead, I will direct you to some interesting writings by other people. All are linked in my sidebar.

First, there is a women's literary journal, Segullah. It's full of interesting essays and poetry. Take a look--I believe you'll enjoy it.

Next, there is a blog called The Iron Rod by John Redelfs. I just discovered it today and have enjoyed reading it. He's got some really good links, too, to scholarly sites.

Then there is Scribal Scratchings, which I've mentioned before. It's by my friend, Scott Ashby, and he writes about early Christian history and doctrines and the Bible. Lots of interesting information there.

The women's group blog, conversation, is always a good read. Not that I'm biased or anything! We do cover a lot of different topics there and I hope you will give it a read as well.

Nathan Shumate has a new url for Tachyon City. Go check out the disappearing dog. And a report of The Talk.

Have a happy weekend. Read.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that your back hurts. :( I hope you are able to sit at Church okay tomorrow. I have checked out Scribal Scratchings and find it to be well-researched and full of information. I do like Conversation and have noticed that it seems to be less topical these days with the blogs more or less doing their own thing. Did that have anything to do with Kaimi from Times and Seasons expounding on the differences of the genders? You know before your blog the only one that I read was M*. Now I am getting to be a blog junkie. At least, one can get some gems of light at the LDS sites. I must add that I was very delighted with Segullah and the level creative writing process there.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

My back is a little better this evening, I think! Yes, Scribal Scratchings is the result of some serious study, so I like it--I like learning things.

Actually, although we dropped the topics about the time of Kaimi's post, we had always planned on just using the topics to get us started and then branching out to our own subjects. His post was kinda interesting, wasn't it?

I'm glad you are enjoying blogs. There's always some new reading material somewhere among them! I find it helps me think, too, even if I disagree. I have to think about why I disagree and it's good for me!

I've read most of Segullah--just have a couple pieces to go--and I have enjoyed it a lot.

What would we do without all this cool stuff to read?!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

I am glad you are feeling better, and I would just like to thank you for the heads up on the great links. I really enjoyed Scibal Scratchings.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Hi, Lizzy! Glad you are back among the bloggers!

10:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is your back feeling better yet, Mary?

9:41 AM  
Blogger Amira said...

Oops, that last comment was mine.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

It's s-l-o-w-l-y feeling better. I am getting impatient to be well again!! Also, I am getting tired, literally as well as figuratively, of not being able to sleep! Thanks for asking and for letting me whine a bit.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Peggy Snow Cahill said...

Mary, sorry to hear that you are sick! You are in our thoughts and prayers. My mother got shingles. It's related to chicken pox, sort of an after-effect? Take good care of yourself, we love ya!

10:01 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, Peggy! I have learned all kinds of things about shingles. It seems that when a person has chicken pox, which many of us did as children, some of the virus goes dormant and, years later, for reasons unknown, may reactivate. That causes shingles, which hurt a whole lot. But I will live! I'm just thankful I don't have a back injury like I first thought.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found a link on your site to a friend of mine who I did not know he has a blog. I had not seen him on any of the forums that I frequent lately so I had wondered how he was as of late so imagine how plesently surprised I was to find out he has a blog. MaoCampo has a very insightful blog. Of course, I would expect nothing less from the person I have come to respect on the forums that I have participated with him on. Thanks for the link!

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home