By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Contemplating Scripture

I have been reading the New Testament lately. Right now, I am in John. I can't decide which of the four gospels in the New Testament is my favorite. They each have much loved verses and interesting stories and bits that the others don't have.

In John, I finished chapter 14 last night. It is amazing that Jesus Christ taught His apostles so many things right at a time when He Himself was troubled by the events to come. Always, always, His thoughts were on others. What did they need to hear and to learn? What would comfort them?

I have noticed, as I am sure you have, that at different times in my life, I notice and appreciate different things in the scriptures. Elder Boyd K. Packer alluded to this at General Conference when he spoke of scriptures about teaching children meaning nothing to him as a young man, but how much they came to mean to him as he became a father and a grandfather. The problems we are currently coping with, the life situation we are in, all these things make a difference in what we gain from the scriptures at any given time.

The scriptures are infinitely deep. There is much to learn on many different levels. We plumb the depths each day. We learn a little more, gain a bit of understanding, apply a bit more wisdom. If we add prayer and being in tune with the Holy Ghost to our scripture study, we increase our ability to learn.

The scriptures are favorite and much-loved books, and for good reason. They contain the words of Life.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger S'mee said...

I have a dear friend who taught me her "way" of reading scriptures* a thousand years ago. Part of it was that I read one verse only until I find the reason it was written... for me. Such a cool way to learn.

Her method has been developed over the years, but was so helpful to me back then, as now.

Thanks for a great post Mary.

*Sandra Black, Color Coding Your Scriptures

4:45 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

That's an interesting thought, s'mee, to read one verse until you could find the reason it was written--for you. I had never thought of that, but I like it! Thanks!

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know at periods of my life different scriptures seem to jump out at me. I used to get possessive a scripture that really spoke to me. It was like it was my personal scripture. One problem I do have a lot in reading the scripures is concentration as my mind tends to race. I can read material like Reader's Digest very easily. Sometimes I finding using my finger to only show one line at a time helps me to concentrate. I would appreciate any tips on focusing. Also, I have enjoyed your recent emails. To you have a good anti-virus so I can also send to you. I like to check as I do not like to send viruses. I am paying for McaVee but think I still have a problem. I receive your emails crystal clear though!!!

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home