By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Thursday, April 28, 2005

Medieval Arts

There are a number of things done in medieval times that fascinate me. One is the kitchen and the food, which I discussed in an earlier post. Another is the needlework. Yet a third is the illuminated manuscript. I have found some sites which have extensive links and information on this topic, covering the history as well as the art of illuminated manuscripts. I am sorry to say that some have some dead links, but there are some real finds here, too, and so I share, thinking that if you are interested, you will find articles and techniques that will reward your time spent looking for them.

Calligraphy and Illumination Links

On Illuminated Manuscripts

Scribal Arts

Medieval Writing

The type of writing and illustration found in medieval manuscripts also lends itself well to embroidery designs, so if needlework is what you do, you still may enjoy looking for designs in the illustrations of the above pages.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Titus Todd said...

I will need to explore those links when I have time as I find the topic interesting.

I like it when I can get a hold of an ancestors writing but it is rare I am able to. My grandmother in Belgium has very interesting handwriting. I've never seen anything like it before.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

There's lots of good stuff on those links. Did your grandmother ever tell you where she learned her penmanship? I'll bet that would be an interesting history lesson.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Titus Todd said...

My grandmother is quite an interesting person. If it wasn't for the language barrier, I would ask her tons of questions. My mother is going to Belgium this summer and I've given her the assignment of getting her mom to record or write down her experiences.

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home