By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, April 02, 2005

After Saturday's Conference Sessions

I enjoyed today's two conference sessions very much. Wish I could retain more, but I excuse myself by saying it is a lot of information to process!

I enjoyed Elder Packer's and Elder Uchtdorf's talks dealing with testimony. Elder Wirthlin's talk on kindness was a good reminder. I enjoyed all the talks and found them uplifting. Elder Uchtdorf is a powerful speaker, is he not? In both what he says and how he says it, he is inspiring to listen to.

I love to hear the choirs sing, too, and I am glad they sing favorite hymns. I can then sing along as I listen over the internet.

I thought it was nice that President Hinckley spoke of the Pope and offered sympathy to the Catholic people. I think Pope John Paul II was a good man and that our Heavenly Father appreciates his efforts to serve. Mother Teresa is another who exemplified service to me.

Conference time usually brings up questions of various kinds by those who would like to see one change or another in the way things are done. There was a statement made on a forum that I really appreciated. One person had stated that he was praying for a certain change and another said (I'm paraphrasing here) that that was fine as long as he was praying an equal amount to understand and accept the way things are now. I know that thinking people are going to see things that they feel should be changed in the church, and they are going to talk about them and pray for the change. But I think it is important that we remember we are led by our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ through our prophet. So along with pondering changes, I would hope that we also pray to understand and accept what is. We don't always understand easily or quickly, and so we could benefit by effort in that direction. I know that I could.

One of the things I love about the gospel is that there is so much to it. It has depth and breadth and height. There is always more to learn and more to understand. Also, I find that my understanding grows deeper as I experience life. Elder Packer touched on this this morning, mentioning how verses about concern for teaching one's children the gospel really didn't mean much to him until he became a father and then a grandfather. Different things reach us at different times in our life.

Much to ponder. And I look forward to being able to study the talks in the Ensign or relisten to them when they are up on the church's website.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home