By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Depressed? Me, Too.

I don't know if it is mid-winter blues, post-holiday let-down, or life in general, but I have been having a hard time lately. I want to accomplish things, but I am too tired and too overwhelmed. I get discouraged, even depressed. I know I am not alone. I am going to link to three articles that might help you if you are going through this despondency, too. They may or may not help. They may not "speak to you" as they did to me. However, if you will read them, you may find some ideas that will help you begin feeling hope and peace. The first two are articles from Meridian Magazine and the third is from the Ensign.

"Keys to Overcoming Discouragement, Despondency, Depression" by Darla Isackson

"Finding Rest from Traditional Resolutions" by Darla Isackson

"Do Not Despair" by President Ezra Taft Benson

Overcoming these negative feelings is important and it is something we can do. It isn't easy. The main thing is to turn to the Lord and lean on Him.

I know that sometimes we look down on what might be called Self Help articles and books, but I feel we should be open to whatever ideas and encouragement we can find. Just reading these things doesn't automatically make everything okay again. What we can do, however, is find perspectives that perhaps we hadn't thought of before. We'll find at least one or two ideas that resonate with us. If, in addition, we search the scriptures and read books or hymns or poems that we have found uplifting in the past, we can begin to raise our spirits and find a little energy to tackle life again. As we do so, we'll find ourselves being lifted a bit more, and so it continues.

Here's wishing you a truly happy new year.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you for saying that, Lizzy. I appreciate knowing that what I say can help. I am starting to feel better. I did have to go back on the anti-depressant, Lexapro, that I was taking, but I figure that if I need it to keep from feeling so horribly hopeless, then that is what I need to do. It makes it possible for the things I talked about in my post above to work for me and I am starting to feel a lot better. I hope you are continuing to feel better, too. We'll just hang in there, won't we?!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

I am. Thanks for asking! I went back on my anti-depressant, Lexapro, plus we've had some nice weather interspersed with the winter weather, so the sunshine helped, too! I am just trying to think of something interesting to write about for my blog, plus I've been busy at work. Still a little weary, but my optimism is coming back and my spirits are lifting!

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home