By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Sunday, December 26, 2004

The Day After...Christmas

I trust that all of you had a very Merry Christmas and are headed for a Happy New Year! I had good time and got lots of books for Christmas, so I'm happy.

I have been reading (big surprise!) The Story of Christianity, Volumes 1 & 2 by Justo L. Gonzalez. They are an excellent overview from Christ's birth until today. Well, until 1985, when the second volume was copyrighted, but you get the idea.... I'm only about halfway through the first volume, but find that the writing is clear and easy to follow and there are lots of details mentioned. There are also bibliographies at the end each part if you want to do more study.

I am still reading on evolution, as well, plus I just read A Christmas Carol in honor of the season. Love that book! And the movies (I have several versions)! I recently got The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture: The Effect of Early Christological Controversies on the Text of the New Testament by Bart D. Ehrman. Then, too, I found sale copies of Josephus: The Complete Works translated by William Whiston and Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History translated by C. F. Cruse. In a different vein, I recently obtained copies of Corrie Ten Boom: Her Story (which contains The Hiding Place, Tramp for the Lord, and Jesus is Victor) and Man's Search for Ultimate Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl.

Did I say that I am also working on organizing my books?

At least I am all set for winter weather--I can stay home, curled up on the couch, happily reading my life away! Enjoy your holidays!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home