By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

There and Back Again

I recovered from the flu, but then had to play catch-up with a number of things at work and at home. However, here I am again!

I have just read a wonderful little book called Before You Get to Heaven: 8 Mighty Changes God Wants for You. It's written by D. Kelly Ogden. The book talks about increasing our ability to pray and read scriptures meaningfully, have faith, repent, get and keep the Spirit, be exactly obedient, get rid of pride, and obtain the love of Christ. I thought it had some good insights and thoughts, but in an overall way, it reminded me of the importance of spiritual growth. I know I get caught up in my intellectual studies and that can lead to the neglect of the more important spiritual aspects of my life. There is room for both, of course, and I think Heavenly Father wants us to use our brains and learn many things. It's just that we need to keep our priorities straight.

Years ago a small volume entitled The Mighty Change was published. It was written by Elaine Cannon and Ed J. Pinegar and published by Deseret Book in 1978. I don't know if it is still possible to find a copy, but it, too, has been a valuable book for me. It is based on Alma 5 to a great extent and really has given me some things to think about as I work on becoming truly converted and experiencing that mighty change of heart.

It lifts my spirits immensely to spend some time concentrating on the spiritual aspects of life and on the basics of the gospel. I also like to choose a topic such as faith and study it more in depth. These things feed my soul and help me to make progress. Reading the scriptures themselves are most important, but I find reading what others think has given me insights and inspired me.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary A said...

Glad I could help!

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home