By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Sunday, March 27, 2005

General Conference

General Conference is next weekend, just in case there is anyone out there who didn't know! I hope to listen to most, if not all, of it.

Sometimes people say it is the same old thing over and over. I don't find that to be a problem. At different points in my life, I tune into different things. What doesn't affect me one time will be of prime importance another time. I also find inspiration, encouragement, and motivation in the talks. And reassuring testimony. Besides, I'll bet if we were all full tithe payers, they wouldn't be inspired to talk about tithing anymore!! Then, too, there are always new converts or recently re-activated members who want to hear things explained--it is new to them, or at least a good reminder of things forgotten.

I often learn new ways of looking at things. Someone may talk about tithing, but perhaps they bring in some new information or a differnt way of looking at it, or a scripture that I hadn't realized was talking about tithing and its importance.

Different speakers appeal to different people. The General Authorities bring their own personalities and speaking styles with them. They bring their own emphasis to various topics. Someone may seem a little hard to understand to one listener, but strike another as bringing important and meaningful insight to a topic.

I love it that we get the talks in the Ensign because we can go back and study them and gain more than we would in just one hearing. Also, we can hear the talks again over at www.lds.org and that is good, too.

I listen to General Conference over the internet, which is now audio only, but those who have cable can often get it televised. It can be nice to go to the church to watch/listen, but it is really nice for those with little ones to be able to watch at home. The rest of us can enjoy watching or listening at home, too, and being able to relax in comfy clothes!!! I believe we can still pay attention and be reverent.

For those who are astounded that I don't have cable, I am too cheap. I admit it. I don't watch enough television to make it worth the cost. I'm pretty much just a news and weather person. Yeah, I'm weird. ;>)

I look forward to General Conference and hope you do, as well. Enjoy it!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary A said...

lizzy, those are good points--an excellent way to view conference!

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home