By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Flavius Josephus and His Works

When I bought my copy of Eusebius' Ecclesiastical History, I also found a sale copy of Josephus: The Complete Works translated by William Whiston, A.M. You can find Josephus' writings online here (scroll down) or here. But you know how I am about having a physical book in my hands!

Josephus writes the history of the Jewish people. It is a widely quoted document written by a man who lived in the first century A.D. As such, it is an important view of the Jewish people and of early Christianity. He draws on his own experiences as well as the work of other historians and provides some important background and also independent confirmation of some Biblical people and events.

Reading this book will, like the Eusebius book, be a long term project, during which time I will also do other reading and writing. What I wish to gain from reading these books is more understanding of the scriptures by learning some history and background information. I also want to gain insight into the people of those times. History always fascinates me and my opinion is that you can't read too much of it.

I would like to share bits and pieces of these readings in my blog, but will continue writing on a variety of topics as well.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, you are such an answer to the desires of my heart. I have such a desire to have a more fleshed out background knowledge of the Jewish people to add to my knowledge of Scriptures. Thank you so much! I do not have the resources of knowledge to necessarily find these things on my own. I have asked people who were so inclined, but they tend to ignore me. I am so excited!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Glad I could help, Barb! By the way, I haven't been sending email since you said yours was down, so be sure and let me know when it's working right again. Did you notice I've been tinkering with my blog--adding color and some things on the sidebar and the footer?

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home