By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Monday, July 04, 2005

Be Not Weary in Well Doing

Happy 4th of July, everybody!

I am recovering from the shingles nicely and was blessed to not have a severe case. Nevertheless, I did learn new things about the meaning of pain. I have also been more tired than usual as my body recovers. I have felt frustrated at having to limit my activities, but I used the time to do a lot of reading and pondering and praying.

One thing that I think many of us struggle with is doing good among others. How much is enough? How much is too much? How can we possibly do everything?

There are a couple of things to keep in mind as we work toward perfection (notice I said "work toward perfection" and not "are perfect!"). These thoughts come from the scriptures.

9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. Galatians 6:9

4 Do not run faster or labor more than you have strength and means provided to enable you to translate; but be diligent unto the end. D&C 10:4

That last scripture, of course, was the Lord's word to Joseph Smith as he translated, but it still is good general advice for us all. Sometimes it is hard to know if we are striking the right balance, but we will learn as we go and we can always pray for guidance. The important thing is to persist and be diligent, but to not overdo and wear ourselves out.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Amira said...

I'm so glad you're doing better. But it is nice to have some time to think.

5:14 PM  
Blogger S'mee said...

Thank goodness you are doing better! Keep resting and continue to heal and become strong again.

Thanks for the post. We all need nudging now and then on both ends of the service spectrum.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Titus Todd said...

Shingles are not fun though it was merely irritating both the times I had it. Some stake missionary freaked out and thought I should go home. I couldn't understand that.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are really doing much better! You know sometimes you never know just how much what you do can mean to someone. I know how I appreciate thoughtful emails! I think that doing good gives one a sense of renewal. Yet, if one is spreading themselves too thin, than you have other feelings. This is not to say that there are not times when sacrifice is not required. Let us all practice random acts of kindness!

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to keep in mind how by small and simple means God can bring great things to pass. With our hand in His, our small acts of good can really multiply.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, everybody! I think you are right that we should remember that small things can make a big difference.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home