By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Cal Thomas on "The Death of Political Ideology"

Over at Jewish World Review, columnist Cal Thomas offers some thought-provoking comments on political ideology and the current lack thereof. He asks

Isn't this what's missing from much of contemporary politics: visionary theorizing, a body of concepts, and most especially a plan for action that benefits the most people?

I know I would find debate of real ideas and plans for action refreshing, not to mention useful.

At Townhall.com, Mike S. Adams (no relation) selects his "2006 Book of the Year" seven months early. This book (The Party of Death by Ramesh Ponnuru), of which I had not heard, and have not seen, much less read, sounds as though it has much thoughtful material and, perhaps, can serve as a lesson in how to think about today's important issues that affect us all in one way or another. Dr. Adams says

Indeed, on nearly every page Ponnuru makes the kind of logically compelling remarks one expects to encounter once a chapter in a normal book. That, of course, means that this is no normal book. It also means there are about 250 good reasons to read it.

I am happy to encounter good thought in essays and books. I feel we have much to learn about the issues of the day and how to think about them--how to find the right questions to ask, the questions that get to the heart of the matter. It matters not whether you are Republican or Democrat, conservative or liberal, or any other of the labels we so freely give one another. Learning to look below the surface, learning to sort out facts and evidence--these can help us all figure out the issues and use our votes in the best possible manner. This kind of deep thinking can help with non-political issues as well.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family was active in campaigning for a Stake Senator who was a friend of the family for all of his campaign bids. My picture even appeared in one of his pamplets where it was staged to look like I was sitting on stairs with other people listening to him lecture. We hosted open houses where he spoke, put up truck loads of signs(parents did most of the work) distributed flyers, attended debates, and stuffed envelopes. It was great to feel that you could support a canidate. I have become so disengaged from politics in recent years. And I think your comments speak to a lot of that. More in a moment.

5:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In passing recently, I heard a little of an interview of somebody who wrote a book(not sure but it may have been Joe Kelin, Politics Lost, How American Democracy was Trivilized by People Who Think You are Stupic." The interview that I heard talked about how the powerful moments of the past of people speaking from the heart are not conducive to today with all the emphasis on speaking to a target audience and using all the key phrases expected to elicit results. I think it is so sad when people trivilize this important process. I was angered that people would constantly analyze trivia in past campaings such as "Which is the real Al Gore" or calling him stiff or wooden in delivary. Keep out that subjective talk that have nothing to do with the issues. I thought he was a fine speaker and do not need somebody to tell me what to think. I am not saying that I necessarily agree with his politics. Give me issues. Give me substance. I hate it when the politicians campain to the "middle" even if their style once in office will be either geared to the left or right. I also think people like to label a person good or evil. President Clinton signed important legislation for freedom of religion and I believe that I recall one of the General Authorities saying he was inspired. A young man who I know that was very much of the Republican world view said that was a miracle.

I hope to someday approach politics from a more informed vantage point. I tune way too much of it out as they say so little that I trust. I wonder if we as citizens sought to be more informed and showed that we are sophisticated and that they should not dumb down their politics, if we would have real debates on the issues!

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tippercannoe and Tyler Too! ;}

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

I remember that slogan from American History! :D

Thanks for your comments. I think we should try to be more involved in politics--if not in actual campaigning, at least in trying to educate ourselves about the candidates and the issues. I, too, wish they would skip the personal remarks and discuss the issues, and also be true to themselves so we voters know what we are getting when we vote for someone! I do think the politicians underestimate the public. Partly it's the public's fault for not being better informed, but partly it's that some politicians think they are so much smarter than everyone else and look down on most people--and talk down to them. Still, we can work on being better informed. I'm not there yet, but I'm working on it!

4:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anybody know any free sites for current events that does not have a bias?

5:20 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Try http://www.factcheck.org. It seems to be unbiased. I have a link to it in my sidebar under Politics, Government.

12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home