By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Sunday, April 30, 2006

I Wonder...

Brigham Young has made comments on how we must "improve" on the knowledge we have been given by God before He will give us more. By that, I take it that President Young means we need to incorporate that knowledge into our lives and act upon it. An example would be tithing. We could be taught about tithing until the cows come home, but until we start paying tithing, we have not "improved" upon that knowledge.

It seems to me that the Church emphasizes the basic teachings of the gospel more now than it did when I joined the Church in 1975. If I am remembering correctly, it seems that there were more lessons on deeper doctrine, more doctrinal articles in the Ensign, etc. It could be that as we gain more converts, it is necessary to make sure they are getting a solid foundation in the gospel basics. It could also be that we are not improving on the knowledge that we have and so we aren't being given more, but rather are being retaught the basics because we longtime members don't have as solid a foundation as we should have.

Just speculating here. I know I need to improve on the knowledge I already have and live the gospel more fully. I need to make better choices and develop more patience and so forth.

*
What did Jesus mean in Matthew 11:16-19 when He said, "But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets and calling unto their fellows, and saying, we have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented. For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He hath a devil. The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children."

*
I had another question about a scripture, but now I can't find it, so it will have to wait.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I first joined the Church and everythign was so new. I was a sponge and could not get enough! Then there started to be more repettition as I had been a member for a time. Once you get caught up with the new revelations of our age, you have an expectation of having new worlds open up to you constantly. I think there are many things that we are not ready to learn. In the Book of Mormon there are a few times when there where things so sacred that they could not be recorded. They seemed to contain such hidden truths that I wonder sometimes what they could mean. However, the basics are what we need for our salvation and that may be in part why there is so much emphasis. As one of my MTC teachers who was not found of people getting off into deep areas and debating things that have not been revealed would remind us that we should not overly concern ourselves with that which is not important to our salvation. I believe that it was Joseph Smith who spoke of how much volume of discussion that we could have on faith. That is such a basic principle that one would not think it would take such an exhaustive effort to relay. And perhaps it is our lack of faith and also lack of obedience that does keep us from further learning.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home