By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mercy Me!

I didn't realize it's been over two weeks since I have posted anything to my blog. I guess I am not doing so well in the "be not weary in well-doing" and "enduring to the end" departments!

I don't have anything wrong with me except weariness, much of which can be ascribed to allergies and the heat & humidity. I am more of a spring and fall person and not so much a summer person.

I did read the new Harry Potter book last Saturday and enjoyed it immensely. I thought it was better than Book 5, or at least more enjoyable--not so dark and Harry not so moody and, well, teenagerish! (As if I had never been teenagerish!) No spoilers here, but read it if you haven't already.

I enjoy books with puzzles and mysteries and lots to figure out and solve. It is a challenge to my brain, but it is also great fun, even if I can't even come close to figuring out the solutions on my own. Anyone know of any good ones like that--where the protagonists hunt through clues in libraries or music scores or math texts or astronomy charts (please note--not astrology!) or religious texts or chess games or etc.?

Well, here's hoping I perk up soon. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mary! I bet the heat and humidity in Omaha rival the South today!!! It was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I do not know of any great mystery books. There is a series on PBS that I like to watch though called History Detectives. They are on real artifacts and it is very interesting as you see the resources that they use to try to determine whether something is authentic.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

It isn't humid here, but it is hotter than I can recall it ever being in Northern Utah. I can't beleive I used to live in the Las Vegas, heat!

I took a cool bath this afternoon and then had a little siesta. It was wonderously rejuvinating.

I can't help in the mystery department either.

Years and years ago I read a two book series (is it called a series, when there is just two?) *chuckle* Sheesh. It was more of a sci-fi Tolkin like set. Stephen Donaldson's "In the Mirror of her Dreams" and "As a Man Rides Through" They were intreging to me. Not my typical books, but I loved them.

7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I wanted to write a brief note here as I still am not sure if my email is scanned before sending. One of these days, I think I will have to pay MSN to tell me how to get rid of a program that I cannot delete, clean, or quarentine. I can send emails fine and receive but for people who do not have good anti-virus I still worry. So I wanted to say.... You had such good timing in sending an email yesterday. I had a very bad day with ocd at work yesterday. My actual work day went well and I received and my supervisor brought over a nice write up from a customer who complimented me last week. But my ocd was really gnawing at me. I am feeling better today. Thank you for the lift that I get knowing someone is thinking about me and cares.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

You're welcome, Barb! I'm glad to think my email arrives at a time when you could use a lift!

I am just so melty in this heat. It's not like I was out in it much--it is just so draining when I am in it! Plus my allergies. So books are just the ticket for this time of year!

Lisa, I'll add those two books to my list to try out. Thanks.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yesterday and the day before, we had Fall weather. It was a nice break from the heat. :)

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home