By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Hungry for Thanksgiving Already

If you are starting to think about turkey and all the trimmings, go over to our group blog, conversation, and read "Tis the Season..." and "The Recipe Post" for ideas and recipes. Mmmmm!

I would also recommend going over to Food Chronicles and take a look at her delicious posts. Chronicler is also part of the group at conversation.

There are recipes all over the web, of course, and you will be able to find things to make that are simple or intricate, as you please. Some places to look, on the off chance you aren't familiar with them, are All Recipes, Recipe-zaar, RecipeLand, mix recipes at RecipeSource, Epicurious, and Fine Cooking. There! That ought to fix you up!

Food seems to anchor gatherings, especially family holidays, and we all have memories of wonderful special occasion meals with our families. We remember not only the food, but the conversation, the decorations, the family members, the love and warmth. Very special memories.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that there are such memories to be had surrounding the traditions of food shared in the family. My paternal grandmother was a farm wife and such a believer in hospitality. I remember how she would smile at me as I would take seconds of the macaroni and cheese. However, despite her mastery of the traditional fare from pies to stuffing, she was not one to shy away from new ways. She read a different way of preparing turkey and tried it out one year. Also, one year my cousin had a hankering for spanish rice. I did not see her glance at a recipee. She sent someone to the store for the ingredients and spanish rice was served among the other holiday fare. After grandma's thanksgiving dinner, one thing we were not was hungry!!

7:11 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Sounds like my grandma, Barb! She could whip up anything without a recipe. I think it came from cooking for years and years and knowing how cooking worked. Mom told me that her parents were known for their hospitality and that sometimes people would show up just before supper. Grandpa would entertain them with conversation while Grandma slipped into the kitchen and whipped up a big batch of noodles and/or biscuits to make the meal stretch. Usually the guests were people going through a hard time and not always having something to eat.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up until about 1970 my paternal grandmother cooked on and baked in a cook stove. It takes a bit of skill to use one let alone cook for a minium of 15 people on the holidays and doing this at near 80 years. The railroad bordered one side of the property and I can remember her feeding many a brindle stiff that came to the door. It was truly a different time from today.

Pop

6:18 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Yes, Mom said that grandma cooked with a woodstove for many a year--and we still had a couple in the house for heat when I was growing up, but not the kind you cook on--although you could, I guess.

I wish I had learned more about my grandparents while I had the chance--it wasn't that our family didn't tell family stories--it was that I didn't pay attention to them.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Thank you Mary! I have been in an awful slump and haven't been visiting much anywhere. Today, it seems, I have turned a corner and find this wonderful post. Thank you.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home