By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Are We Learning the Lessons from Katrina?

Are we learning lessons from the disaster of Hurricane Katrina? Are we evaluating our own preparedness--not just temporally, but spiritually and mentally and emotionally and socially and character-wise? Are we making 72-hour kits and then teaching and encouraging our friends and neighbors about them? Are we making evacuation plans? Are we thinking about what it would mean to have to leave home? Do we ponder how we can help others do the same?

Do we strengthen ourselves so that we can get past the ever-present desire for ease and comfort? Can we get past expecting instant gratification? Can we let go of material things to save ourselves and others? Do we need to overcome selfishness, impatience, greed, or other things that can hold us back?

Are we as physically fit and healthy as we can be so that we can withstand the rigors of "the road?" Have we developed any skills we might need, such as camping skills?

Do we study the scriptures to receive guidance? How many times in the history of the world have people had to leave home to start life anew? How did they do it? Can we trust God to help us after we have done our part? What is our part?

I hope that I can take my own advice and study all aspects of personal preparedness and then put what I learn into action.

Lots to ponder in learning lessons from the world around us.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moses' cows a nuisance at new housing
Iva Moses' large spotted cows have roamed along Centerline Road and Gifft Hill for years.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a writing instruments site. It pretty much covers writing instruments related stuff.

Come and check it out when you get time

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Mary, I think that it is obvious by now that we as a country didn't learn anything about being prepared on 9-11 or any other day. Just think, if all of those folks had had 72 hour kits and some semblence of a plan they could have aleviated an awful lot of their own misery. I realize that is a very bad PC no, no, to suggest that people bear some of the responsibility for their own well being.

Pop

8:53 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

It may not be PC, Pop, but you are right that we need to bear responsibility for our own well-being. I don't see any evidence that anyone learned anything from past disasters, catastrophes, etc., but I suppose a few did. Still, I post the questions to make us think. It is a human failing, I guess, to procrastinate preparedness. After all, it is easy to think we'll have plenty of time--right up until it is too late. {sigh} I'm not prepared either, and don't mean to be harsh, but we really ought to listen to the Lord and His prophets.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Mary, we really should, but I can point you to a place that you are familar with where it seems like people spend more and more time trying to find an excuse not to follow the counsel of the Phrophet and Apostles. After all they didn't say it was the will and word of the Lord so it doesn't count. If you didn't do more than keep a couple of bags of jerky and a couple of jugs of water in your automobile you'd still be better prepared than most folks. One thing that I wondered about was where the people that didn't have food or drink got their smokes .

Pop

11:49 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

True enough. :D

1:52 PM  
Blogger Lisa M. said...

You're right, Mary. A lot to ponder.

I agree, completely.

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a wake up call to me!

5:44 PM  
Blogger S'mee said...

This month's VT spurred me to bring something for a "kit" to each of my gals to add to or start what they need. Not really a part of the lesson, just better than any "hand out" I could have given them otherwise.

8:49 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

What a great idea, s'mee! Lisa and Barb, thanks for your comments. I think the (more or less) washing away of New Orleans has made me think more seriously about the possibilities for needing preparation than I ever had before.

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,

Is your RS having a 72hr kit enrichment night. Ours is, but I don't recall when, seeing as how it doesn't concern those of us who doze in Sacrament service. Perhaps events have stired people a little after all. I still fear that the net result will only be that those that are prepared will become more prepared.

Pop

1:43 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Pop, we haven't had anything like that yet. Last year, I heard a rumor there would be a 72-hour kit workshop for the whole ward, but nothing ever came of it. We did have a preparedness fair in the spring. It does seem like after the initial shock of something like Katrina, a lot of people more or less forget about it, at least in terms of their own preparedness.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home