By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

Idle Chatter

I have been taking a break from serious non-fiction reading for...Harry Potter. Big surprise, huh?! I enjoy that series of books. They are fun and interesting and there's always some sort of mystery to solve. I have the three movies on DVD and have enjoyed them a lot, as well.

I know there are those who disapprove of them because of the magic, but to me they are just fun fantasy books that pitch good vs. evil and good is winning, though sometimes it seems a little up and down. I think we can trust that good will win in the end. Apparently, these books have gotten a lot of kids interested in reading and I hope that they are trying other books, both fiction and non-fiction, and finding out that worlds are opening up to them.

I have written before about how important I think reading is and the earlier a love for it develops, the better. It helps in school, it helps in self-education, and it helps exercise the brain and the imagination. I know a person can learn a lot from all types of reading.

It has been a little cooler in in Oklahoma lately, although it is starting to warm back up. A nice break for us! It would be nice to not have allergy problems, but I guess that would make my life just too easy! Still, it could be worse. I just wish I could get my energy back, but that will come--probably in the fall when it cools off, although that can be a bad time for allergies.

Work has been absorbing a lot of my attention lately. Perhaps I can improve my efficiency. I probably worry too much about all kinds of things at the office. My agents love me (I'm an insurance underwriter), so I must be doing something right! Actually, I think the gospel helps me because I see my agents as real people with real problems and concerns. Some of my co-workers seem to see them as just voices on the phone, sent to irritate them. To me, life goes better when I try to see others as whole people with whole lives, not just the little part that has to do with insurance or whatever. It helps me be more patient and understanding.

I still have some of my weekend left and then it will be August and back to work on Monday. Time flies whether you are having fun or not! My nephew starts back to school in a couple of weeks and starts football Monday. He sure is growing fast.

I hope you are having a great summer and enjoying it to the hilt!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Lisa M. said...

I love the Harry Potter books as well. They are fantastic. I have never witnessed such a phenomenom with children when it comes to reading.

I used to volunteer at the school when the first book was gaining popularity. It was amazing to watch.

I couldn't agree more. Reading is one of the most important things kids can do.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember 6th grade teacher saying how reading is the best education. She would read from the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe a little each day after. It was a wonderful experience. I do like to balance out my reading. I will go through spurts where I like fiction and others where I like nonfiction.

It sure makes a difference to get positive feedback at work, doesn't it. It is great that people let you know when they think you do a good job. I agree that the Gospel makes a difference in our relations to our fellow man.

How old is your nephew?

4:36 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

My nephew is 9--he'll be 10 in October. He likes to read, but that's no wonder--all the adults around him read like crazy!!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! I hope everything is going good down your way. It was a beautiful day in Omaha.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Titus Todd said...

As an agent, underwriters are either great or evil. Actually, most are great, at least those I have had to deal with. Of course, I'm in a different industry but an underwriter is an underwriter.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

I, of course, am one of the great ones!! :D

10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home