By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Cooler Weather at Last!

We are having a cold snap in Oklahoma--80's instead of 100's! And we've been getting some rain, too! I already feel perkier, although my sinuses are plaguing me because rain makes allergens grow. Ah, well, nothing is perfect.

I took a vacation day today and, dang it! The lawn maintenance men are all over the apartment complex, wafting grass clippings and pollen into the air like crazy. Well, wafting isn't the right word--try blowing at top speed.

Still, I feel happy these days. I really was feeling drained and worthless by the hot weather, even though I spent most of my time in the air conditioning. I grew up without any air conditioning and we managed just fine. We get spoiled. Plus I was a lot younger and more resiliant then!

I didn't even feel much like reading for awhile there. That is truly an indication of how run down I felt. Reading is my life!

Has anyone read any good books lately? Would you like to tell us about them here? Please do!

I've been reading some politically conservative books (Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, Bernard Goldberg) and an introductory book about yoga. I've also been reading in The Lost Language of Symbolism by Dr. Alonzo L. Gaskill (on which I wrote a brief review here). Last night I spent some time poking around in my 1999 CDs of GospeLink. There are tons of interesting LDS books on there, plus some classic literature. I also have the 1999 infobase. Some duplicates and some not. The trouble is, I like to have a book to hold in my grubby little hands, with pages to turn and room to scribble in the margins. You can make notes and bookmarks and highlights in the CD programs, but it just isn't the same.

I need to do some housecleaning. Literally. Enjoy your day!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Tigersue said...

I have Bleak House which I have just started. I have also been working my way slowly through Mere Christianity. Normally I would have had it finished by now, but I have had a hard time concentrating on reading. Like you I would rather have a book in my hand than read on the computer.

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Journal of Discourses

Pop

8:40 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Tigersue, I really liked Mere Christianity, but it is a book I need to read more than once to absorb more. But that is a good thing to me! I haven't read Bleak House yet. It's one I want to one of these days.

Pop, I've dipped into Journal of Discourses some. Good reading, isn't it? And it'll keep you busy for awhile!

Mary

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was glad that it warmed up a little here! I have a couple of books that I plan to start reading after Sept. 16. One is a signed copy of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, which was given to me by my sister. I had not heard of it, but the reviews make is sound like a very good prose that talks of womens' friendships.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, maybe I should have sent you part of our hot weather to mix with your cooler weather!

That sounds like a good book. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know if it's good.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Jettboy said...

I have been reading "The History of Civilization" series by Will Durant. I read the first three and a quarter books - not light reading. You should read these if you are interested in more than an overview of history that doesn't just list facts. The two main problems are shear volume and some dated material.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Jettboy, that's on my To Read Someday list. The amount of material is why I've put it off! I have heard it's good, though, and would be a worthwhile read, in spite of some of it being dated.

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home