By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Giving up on Josephus

I am giving up on Flavius Josephus. I just have too much difficulty making heads or tails of what all he is up to in his life. I am probably not familiar enough with the history of that time to make sense of it. It may be that I will write about him again in a more general way, but for now, it is just hanging over my head, making me feel guilty for not writing about him, so I am publicly abandoning him.

At the moment, it would be much more useful to me to study ways of keeping cool in the summertime!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen "Josephus and the New Testament"? It's quite helpful.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156563795X/qid=1150149207/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-8860319-1969664?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Just like vapor into the air."

Gaseous Florus

9:14 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

The Monk, thanks for that book recommendation. I'll look into that.

My dear Gaseous Florus, somehow I knew I would hear from you! :D

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that I have that problem a lot when I try to read World History or Ancient History. I think that I heard that Bill Bryson has a book that gives and overview of history that is pretty good. I know that I really liked his book about the History of the English language. He filled in the background information and do so in such an interesting way. I find that when I try to read Will Durant(my dad's favorite historian) that he writes in a way that I do not know many of his references. A pet peeve of mine is when a writer will say the name of a city without a country!

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home