By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Writing a Novel

Raise your hand if you are working on a novel. I thought so.

What genre are you interested in writing for?

I've been reading a book by Elizabeth George called Write Away that discusses how to write a novel. She makes some interesting points. One example is to figure your characters out in detail before you get too involved in creating a plot, because often the characters themselves (and what they would or wouldn't do) can decide which way your plot goes. She mentions that in one of her books, her starting idea was wanting to write about a particular type of character. For others, she had an idea or theme, but still detailed the characters early before she had done more than a brief sketching out of her idea.

It's a good book. She explains the different viewpoints a writer can choose from, what voice is, how to write good dialogue and what dialogue should do. There are a number of books out there about how to write a novel, but I thought this one was interesting and useful. It's published by Harper/Collins. The writing magazines, Writer's Digest and The Writer also publish writing books, plus you could subscribe to the magazines themselves.

Interesting stuff. Reading about writing can inspire me to work harder at my own writing, too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Tigersue said...

Very interesting. I haven't ever written a novel, but I am dabbling at writing some fan fiction. Sounds like a great resource.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Gunner said...

a childrens book. Already written, just not sure of the next step. most returns online want money and seem shadey.

rather frustrated.

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the variety here. I think that I am more into essays or nonfiction character sketches. I really admire those with a talent for fiction. I have a friend who has written short stores and poetry. Now she is writing a book and she has sent me the introduction. I met her online at another LDS forum(where I am poetry moderator). It is so great to meet so many creative people and maybe a little of it will rub off on me!

7:53 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Thank you for telling about the Elizabeth George book. I hope I can find it. I am interested in writing a novel. Just haven't had the motivation.

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home