By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

How Do We Envision God?

I envision God as all powerful and all knowing (omnipotent and omniscient). I have an impression, though, that a number of people, both in and out of the church, see God as a perfect man, but with little or no ability beyond what we mortals have.

I think at least a part of the problem is that we mortals with our finite minds cannot envision a God who knows of natural laws that we do not know of, or do not understand, and can therefore do things we conceive of as impossible. Physical things. Creating a man, for example. I have heard arguments regarding foreknowledge--that if God had it, then we wouldn't have agency. I don't believe that--knowing that someone is going to do something does not mean that that person is forced to do that thing.

I realize that it is a hard thing to grasp that God is omnipotent and omniscient. This is something that we probably have to progress to being able to do--and probably not until the next life will we begin to fully grasp it.

There are, of course, many other traits that our Heavenly Father has--justice, mercy, love, integrity, patience and long-suffering, for example. We have been told in Matthew 5:48 and in 3 Nephi 12:48 and in other scripture (see, for example, 2 Nephi 31:12) to be like our Heavenly Father and Jesus. Some things, like the omnipotence and omniscience, we can't do anything about right now, but we can work on things like being just and merciful, forgiving and patient. I also think that secular learning is a part of learning to be like God and Jesus Christ (see D & C 88:118 and D & C 90:15). We should learn science and math and geography and languages and arts and so forth. We should learn to understand people and have empathy and sympathy for them. We should learn to manage our resources, our time, our talents. These things all take time to develop, but they are all things we can begin working on now.

How do you envision God and how do you envision becoming like him?

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Prophet Joseph taught that we would have much to learn on the other side. Other than the things that have been revealed to us(he has a body of flesh and bone), I doubt that we are ready to deal with His magnificence, granduer and power. Up until the time appointed, He will continue to be basicly what each of us wants Him to be.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that I often view our Father in Heaven on a more human level as that helps me relate. I trust and believe that he can answer prayers. I catch myself sometimes and also realize that I often think of English as being the native language of heaven. I know that we need to get to really know God in this life and understand the master we should serve. I do not view God on the level of Moses who after his vision realized that man really is nothing in comparision to God.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barb,

Guess I'm with Moses but God, our Father in Heaven, has provided a way for us to narrow that disparity. How much we narrow it is up to us, but we "can" become like Him and dwell in His presence.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home