By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Victor Borge Was a Delightful Man

This morning, as I was shopping at Borders, I discovered a 3-disc set of Victor Borge's television shows. I grabbed them up in 2 seconds flat!

Victor Borge was a talented classical pianist who also had a gift for humor and was a charming entertainer. You can read more about him here at Wikipedia. I saw him on television frequently when I was a child and always enjoyed his performances.

He did a comedy routine called "Phonetic Punctuation" that was funny and different. His gestures and facial expressions were a large part of his humor, although I've enjoyed his books as well. In his younger days, he told anti-Nazi jokes and managed to get himself on Hitler's enemies list. He escaped to America with $20 and no English. It is an interesting life of hard work and talent and persistence.

Years ago my supervisor at work told me he had been close to Victor's son, Ronnie, in Vietnam, when they served there. Apparently, Ronnie was just as delightful and charming as his father was. Victor Borge died in 2000, but I am glad to see he has not been totally forgotten.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Victor Borge is funny and clever. He is a real class act!

9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting to see him perform live at the local theater was one of the highlights of my mother's life.

Pop

9:47 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

I'm glad he was remembered as well.

10:43 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Nice to hear from everybody! I suspect a lot of bloggers are young enough to have never heard of him, but I'm glad I'm not alone.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of us here at Sunny Acres read your blog Mary, it stands to reason that some of us would reply. See you in the dining room this evening. :-)

Pop

11:50 AM  
Blogger S'mee said...

Victor Borge is one of my daughter's favorites! btw, she's 19. : >

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home