By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Being Diligent

And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order. Mosiah 4:27

This is one of my favorite scriptures. I have a lot of trouble being diligent. In part, it is the plague of perfectionism--if I can't do something perfectly the first time I try, I don't want to bother. In part, it is allowing myself to be overwhelmed by all I need to do, instead of chopping it up into bite-sized pieces so I can handle it a little at a time. There are all kinds of factors that can affect our ability to have self-discipline, self-control, self-mastery.

One thing I try hard to remember is that we learn by doing, not by thinking about it or reading about it. We are here on earth to gain experience. We are here to grow and to become stronger and wiser.

Another thing I try to remember is that regardless of the past, regardless of whatever caused the various issues I have, I am all grown up now and it is my choice as to how I act now. No one else is responsible for me and what I do or don't do--I am.

I believe with all my heart that the Lord stands ready to help and encourage us, but we have to do our part. As the scripture above indicates, we don't have to run faster than we have strength. We do, however, have to persist in doing. And so I shall.



Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm mentioning this article and your blog in something I'm doing at Right Truth. I'm not familiar with Mosiah, and am assuming this is a LDS quote from the Book or Mormon or Pearl of Great Price? I am Southern Baptist and have read these, but I do not have my copies here to check. I would send you a trackback, but I don't see you have that option. Here's the link to Right Truth

http://righttruth.typepad.com/right_truth/2006/08/warning_bloggin.html

It's just something silly, to break from the news around the world.

Debbie

5:25 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, Debbie! Yes, Mosiah is in the Book of Mormon. By the way, I have you linked on both my blogs--under Politics on this one and just in the links on Scholar. (I don't have categories on that one.) I really like your blog.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary,

I know you teach Essentials, but read today's Gospel Doctrines lesson. You're righr, it's by doing that we learn. If we aspire to be like our Father in Heaven then we need to do our best to live like Him. That is what will prepare us for the eternities. We can have it all memorized and it will be for naught.

Pop

1:45 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Lesson #35? The one about the prophet Amos?

3:33 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Never mind--I emailed you.

If anyone else is curious, he's talking about Lesson #31.

:D

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things used to come so easy to me that I take for granted now. I really had to lower the bar. But I am not into beating myself up. I try to control the things that I can and make achievable goals. You have to start somewhere. :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, that's the way to look at it. I tend to make myself crazy instead of being sensible!!! I need to work at your way.

Mary

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home