By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Every 5 September

This past Tuesday, 5 September, marked 27 years since the day that my daughter, Dixie, and my son, Jim, died in a car wreck. Every year that day brings sadness, balanced by the memories of my happy, laughing children who charged through life with all the energy they possessed.

The Lord has comforted me and blessed me in countless ways, and I know I will see them again. But I still miss my little ones.

Twenty-seven years ago I wrote a poem. I don't know that it is especially good as poems go, but it expresses a poignant moment I experienced as I sat in the funeral home chapel, staring at two small white caskets and feeling my heart shatter into tiny bits.


The Funeral
Dixie would have loved the flowers,
The bright and lovely flowers,
That fill the room today.
She would have loved the tiny bouquet
They placed in her hands.
And there were flowers
For Jim to hold, too,
Because he always wanted to do
Everything
His sister did.

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Amira said...

That is a beautiful poem, Mary. I was thinking about you on Tuesday.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you, Amira. I appreciate that.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Tigersue said...

I am so sorry Mary. I am always amazed at the tragic things I find when I read other's blogs. My thoughts are with you.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you, Tigersue. I think everyone has had a really tough time at least once in his or her life. I know the Lord has helped me through, as He helps everyone through. Even as I miss my children, I know they are safe with Him. For the most part, I remember the happy times and the funny, cute things Dixie and Jim did and said, but sometimes I just need to express what I could not express at the time--the overwhelming sadness. Still, I am generally an optimistic person who has a lot of faith and hope. I am grateful to have had them for awhile and I look forward to seeing them again.

2:34 AM  
Blogger Jettboy said...

I feel for your loss even after so many years.

The poem was very warm and emotional, beautiful as others said. As someone who does not like "homemade" poems I am serious with my praise.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Deborah and Jettboy, thank you.

7:04 PM  
Blogger jana said...

Mary, this is beautiful poetry, in every way. Thank you so much for sharing!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

jana, thank you. I really appreciate everyone's comments.

9:34 PM  
Blogger S'mee said...

This is beautiful and lovely. My heart is with you dear friend. Sweet hugs to you as you fondly remember all the good things that these sweet children brought into your life; and now ours.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, s'mee--you're one in a million!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Titus Todd said...

I can't imagine experiencing what you have. You have the strength and understanding that I think are necessary to keep one from being kept down with such a tragedy. I admire that strength that shows in not only how you have handled what you have experienced but in how you share your knowledge and faith.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you, Titus. What nice things to say!

2:31 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thank you, M & M. My hope would be that people with heartaches of any kind would turn to the Lord for help and comfort and encouragement. It's there.

2:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, that poem was very touching as you expressed as they are the words of a loving mother. You are able to remember the good times even during the hard anniversary dates.

8:36 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, Barb.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home