By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Monday, May 01, 2006

My Other Question

Okay, here's my other question. In 3 Nephi 1:14, what did Jesus mean when He said, "Behold, I come unto my own, to fulfil all things which I have made known unto the children of men from the foundation of the world, and to do the will, both of the Father and of the Son—of the Father because of me, and of the Son because of my flesh. And behold, the time is at hand, and this night shall the sign be given."


It's the part in italics that I don't understand.

Anybody with any ideas about this or about the scripture in my previous post is welcome to give me some insight. Thanks!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Brenda said...

Here's a B of M commentary I like:
http://frontpage2000.nmia.com/~nahualli/LDStopics/3%20Nephi/3Nephi1.htm

6:33 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, C Jones! That's very helpful! I even had Brant Gardner's page bookmarked, but hadn't explored it enough to realize he had a Book of Mormon commentary. I appreciate your pointing it out.

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These terms refer to Christ's dual nature as the son of a divine Father and a fallen, mortal mother.

In this context, the word "Father" seems to mean Christ's divine self--the part inherited from his Father. The word "Son" refers to the mortal self inherited from Mary. Christ made the "Son" subject to the "Father" much as we are asked, adn strive, to make our spirits the masters of our bodies. When the flesh is subject to the spirit, then the spirit and the body are united as they should be.

5:33 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

That makes sense. Thank you!

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you asked! I had wondered about this as well.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great question Mary. I posted some links to online commentary with a brief synopsis at the Feast wiki page.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Thanks, Robert C.!

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home