By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Internet Finds, Old and New

Not too long ago, I discovered a website called "Internet Sacred Text Archive." It looks like it has a lot of material from different religions, belief systems, and what-have-you. It's interesting to dip into books from all over the world and sample what they are like.

On the above mentioned site, there are pages on women, sky lore, UFOs, and Mormonism (no connection between those topics is implied!! :D) among many others. It looks like it has a lot of mythology and folk-lore as well as religious texts, so you might have a lot of fun looking through the material. I've barely gotten started myself, but I think it'll be very enjoyable.

Another website is "Internet Resources for the Study of Judaism and Christianity" which is a list of many links organized by category. You might find something new to read there.

For religious music, there are two websites I recommend highly for learning the words and music to many hymns of many faiths, or just for listening pleasure. They are The Cyber Hymnal and LDS Church Music. I think you will enjoy those a lot.

These sites are all linked on my sidebar, along with a number of great blogs and other resources.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger T. F. Stern said...

I was going down the list offered on the link you provided and came across The Unknown Life of Christ, by Nicolas Notovitch where an attempt was made to “fill in the blanks”, to explain those parts of the life or our Savior not included in the scriptures.

I also recall, having read Jesus The Christ, by James Talmadge, where a recommendation was offered to leave what had not been written alone, more a warning not to trivialize the life of the Savior through speculative endeavors. I had considered that to be sound advice, believing that had such been approved to be included, as per the Lord’s instructions to his Holy Prophets, it would have been a part of the scriptures. There is no reason not to believe that at some future time, after having passed through the veil, that additional scriptures will be made manifest to those desiring that information.

Thanks for including the link; I’m still working on the link you had for all the art available on the internet. That should keep me busy for quite a while.

6:41 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

T.F., I think it is important to not trivialize the life of Christ by speculating on what we don't know. I am content to wait for that knowledge. I do like to read what others have written about various aspects of religion and its beliefs and teachings, keeping in mind that some contains good insights and some is just that person's speculation and opinion. I think that is one reason scripture study is important--to help us remember what's known and what's important.

I'm glad my links are keeping you busy!!!

3:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to have a more focused study of religions and this will be a great help.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, I thought it might be useful that way--to have material organized for study. Hope it helps!

3:16 PM  
Blogger S'mee said...

Mary every time I read your blog there is something terrific to sustain me until I get back again. Thanks for the links, these look really fun!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

You're welcome, s'mee! It's always fun to find new sites to check out.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home