By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Random Thoughts from a Random Mind

I took last week off from posting to my blogs because I had been felled by respiratory flu/bronchitis/the plague or whatever it was I had. I am feeling much better now. I think I'm going to live!

I have added to my gospel library by ordering the Institute/Seminary manuals on CD from Church Distribution. I also got the scripture mastery cards and the bookmarks. Having joined the church at age 21, I missed out on a lot of the opportunities for study that others have enjoyed, so I am excited about having these resources.

We are getting more rain in Oklahoma and everything looks wonderfully green. Flowers are blooming and birds are singing. It lifts one's spirits immensely when spring arrives. It's been a bit warm and humid, though, and yesterday the air conditioner at the office wasn't doing it's job. We also had to evacuate for awhile because a sensor in the basement went off. Turned out to be nothing, but the fire department did come out and check on things.

I am studying for a test related to my work so that contributes to keeping me out of mischief. I find it interesting to study insurance, but I imagine that sounds boring to many. I've worked for insurance companies for 23 1/2 years, and I find that the more I know, the more interesting it becomes. I enjoy my job as a commercial lines underwriter and I love talking to my agents. I'm afraid they don't enjoy talking to me, though, when I have to say no to some policy they want me to write.

I still get all wound up over politics (see my blog, Scholar). I worry about people and how they are affected by the laws and policies that are put into place. Where do we draw the line between generous giving and "tough love"? What is best for people and do they understand that sometimes the best way is the hardest?

Writing continues to be a major passion, but I don't put enough time into it (see my blog, Writing Blog). Maybe someday I will learn how to manage my time better! And maybe I will learn to not be overwhelmed into inaction. I do love to write and am grateful for the outlet that my blogs give me.

The gospel is a central part of my life, of course. I try to understand that not everyone views the gospel the way that I do. The last thing I want to be is difficult. Still, I do take a view that the way is "strait and narrow." Let's face it--I am an old-fashioned conservative in most areas of my life. I wish everyone would try to be as accepting of that as I try to be of other viewpoints. Perhaps if I try harder....

Has anyone read any good books lately? Tell me about them!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the title, Mary, I love the title.

Pop

12:12 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Pop, I thought you might like it! :D

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I am glad you are feeling better. Spring and even the hope of Spring does wonders for me. Our tulips were a regular experiment this year as they would droop from the cold at the start of the day and then lift as it warmed. Our regular lilacs were casualties of the cold from what I can tell. Our Asian lilac is in bloom. Some of the Irises that I did not think would bloom are blooming. Happy!!!

I have been wanting to get my own subscription to Questia, an online library for two years or more. I just purchased it with my income return. I am having so much fun. I need to focus on areas of interst more from poetry to educational psychology rather than skimming so many subjects just because I can!!!

I was finally planning on getting Gospel Link as well, but I did not see it when I went to Desertbook. I don't do CD's. I have to use things that you can download etc or subscribe to.

I really want to get the Institute Manual on Comparative Religions. I took the Standard Works except the Pearl of Great Price many times over through Institute and had manuals. I never took Comparitive Religons and the subject interests me a lot.

Keep blogging!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, thanks--I am feeling better! This up and down weather has been hard on people and flower both. I'm glad that some of your flowers are blooming!

I haven't tried subscribing to Questia or anything like that--I'm sure it'd be good, but I'm afraid I wouldn't use it enough to justify the expense, but that's just me.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since Questia give me access to academic journals that normal search engine searches do not allow me to acess, I think it is a good investment. I used to read academic journals for leisure when I did not have a pressing deadline during my University studies. The price is a lot less if you get a year's subscription rather than a shorter term as far as the monthly rate goes.

It's a lot of fun for me!

6:27 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Academic journals?! Barb, you've caught my interest! I'll have to look into that. :)

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home