By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Reflections on the End of Another Year

Here we are, once again at the end of a calendar year. The years seem to fly by faster and faster as I get older. I enjoy making New Year's Resolutions, but I'm not so good at follow-through, probably because I set too many goals and the ones I set are too vague.

I think what I need to do is set some priorities. What goal(s) would be most important to my well-being? Could I pick one goal in each of the areas of physical, mental (intellectual), emotional, social, character, financial, and spiritual? What kind of measurable goals can I set so I can evaluate my progress? What specific things do I need to do to reach my goals? Where can I write them down so that I can work on them daily or weekly, depending on what type of goal I've set? How often do I need to sit down and evaluate how I'm doing?

It sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? But it is work to accomplish worthwhile things. I think, too, that figuring out how to handle set-backs is a part of goal-setting. I hate to expect set-backs. That seems like I'm setting myself up for them. Still, being human, I'm likely to slip up now and again. I do think that if I have to restart, I shouldn't try to make up things I've skipped. That makes it overwhelming. It seems better to just start in again. For example, if I were to set a goal to read 1 chapter a day in the Bible and I missed for 2 weeks, I wouldn't be thrilled at the notion of sitting down and reading 15 chapters in one evening to get back on track not to mention I probably wouldn't be paying proper attention to what I was reading). Better to just start reading 1 chapter a day again and perhaps change when I've scheduled it so that I make sure I continue.

Another thing that's hard about goals is to set ones that help me to stretch and grow and improve, but yet not set goals that are too far out of reach right now. I think that I need to not set overly ambitious goals and, if I find it's too easy to meet one of my goals, then I could reset it in February or March to make it a little harder. It's one of those things I just need to be doing in order to evaluate how it's going.

I also need to resolve to not overthink things! If I get into a lot of complicated bookkeeping to make and keep my goals, I'm liable to give up just because it has gotten out of hand to keep track of everything. What to do? What to do? I also need to resolve to not think I'm just crazy, even though I may be!

Do you set resolutions? At the beginning of the new year or some other time? If you want to, tell us one or two of your resolutions--maybe it'll give us ideas of some good ones to choose.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work on goals through the year. However, I do look to the new year to set out a lot of good goals at once. I am happy with some of my progress, but really need to lengthen my stride. I am glad to have some direction though. -Barb

7:59 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Same here, Barb. I work on goals and sometimes I'm please, but I sure need more work!!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home