By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Random Ramblings

I am already tired of winter weather, although here in Oklahoma we have had some nice, mild days intermingled with the cold ones. Summer is too hot, winter is too cold, but spring and fall are just right, as far as I'm concerned.

There are some things about the internet that are just so much fun! Sometimes I will recall a food that my mom prepared when I was a child, but that I don't have a recipe for. (Maybe she didn't, either!) I can search online and find similar recipes which will lead me in the right direction. The most recent one was a chicken and rice soup which featured--besides chicken and rice--carrots and celery. Mom made it with cut-up chicken pieces (bone-in) rather than chopped up boneless chicken. It was really more of a stew or a stove-top casserole because it really wasn't very thinned down with liquid. I don't remember Mom's version having onions in it, but mine certainly will! I do think she used garlic (probably garlic salt). It was absolutely delicious and an excellent winter meal. Of course, we all know that no one cooks like Mom, but at least we can find similar recipes and have fun in the process!

I think cooking (and even just looking for recipes) can be good therapy when you need to rest your mind from everyday concerns. You can also find new and different foods to fix and healthier ways to fix them. You can find less expensive ways to fix meals, too. Having access to the millions of recipes on the internet is useful as well as fun.

I took a vacation day from work today. I've had some sort of respiratory ailment for the last 9 days and, while I am definitely better, I'm still weary and can't quite shake the cough and congestion. Maybe that's why I was thinking longingly of Mom and her chicken-rice soup! Getting older is definitely not for sissies, as the saying goes. It gets harder to recover from things.

My apartment needs cleaning. I hope to feel energetic enough tomorrow to do something about that.

Even my brain is not up to par. I've written posts for all three of my blogs today, but they aren't terribly inspiring.

Tomorrow will be better.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am this finds you feeling better. Oh, that chicken and rice dish of your mom's sounds so good. I'm all for hurrying along Spring! It was so cold yesterday her in the Midwest. Brrrrrrrr I think it is supposed to get to 30 this weekend. Heat wave!--Barb

8:15 PM  
Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Lucy made a huge crock pot of turkey soup which is sitting there for anyone who wants a quick meal and a warm up. There is a "cure" just enjoying a bowl of soup prepared from chicken or turkey that beats anything you could by at the pharmacy.

Glad you're feeling better.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Hi, Barb! Yes, I am feeling better today, although I can't do much around the apartment without having to stop and rest a bit. Of course, that gives me time to visit the blogs! It has been cold, hasn't it? I hate to make you feel bad, but we are looking to have 60s for highs this weekend--some nice relief for a few days before another snow storm hits late next week.

Hi, TF. Mmmmm. Turkey soup. You have a nice wife. I have heard that nice, warm chicken/turkey soup really does help a person get well--partly from the nutrition and partly from the warmth. I personally believe it's also a mental/emotional thing that helps to heal us!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I am glad that you are feeling a little better. By the way, I think that chicken noodle soup(and turkey may be the same) is said to have health benefits due to anti-inflamatory ingredients. I think the emotional aspect is important too. I remember as a missionary that a sister in our ward gave us a jar of what I think was home-made chicken noodle soup with carrots chopped up in it. They really spoiled us a lot!--Barb

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, so Mom and Grandma were right that chicken soup is good for a sick person!! I think the love they put into it is a big factor, too. That's nice that you were spoiled as a missionary! Nothing like a little chicken noodle soup to make you feel good.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home