By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Reflections

After almost a week of allergies/sinus issues, I am feeling slightly better today. I think I'm going to have to miss the ward dinner tonight, though, because the headache is starting to come back--not to mention coughing, sneezing, etc. Blech! Well, I've always survived before, so no doubt I will again.

I need to write out a blogging schedule for myself so that I can keep things moving. I love my blogs, but this hit-and-miss blogging isn't accomplishing what I want to accomplish. As a matter of fact, my whole life needs a schedule. There is so much I want to work on.

The fall colors on the trees have been beautiful. I love the occasional splash of bright red among the yellow and orange and gold. The mix of evergreens gives even more contrast. Our Heavenly Father has given us a most beautiful world to live in and it is one of the things I am very thankful for.

This time of year is so pleasant--cool outside, warm and cozy inside. Perfect weather for reading and sleeping, for hot chocolate, for stew and chili. It makes me long for a fireplace! It is also a time for reflection and for evaluating my life and making some changes and improvements.

I reflect also on the gospel and all that the Lord has done for me and continues to do for me. As Thanksgiving Day approaches, I find myself very thankful indeed.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger T. F. Stern said...

Years ago on much older versions of Windows we had a screen saver that had fall colored trees mixed with evergreens. The neat part we found was that on Thanksgiving all the little evergreens got decorated with Christmas Lights and stayed that way for a month.

I know, that's not as awesome as what nature provides for those who take the time to look around and appreciate it everday. Hope your allergies give up and go away.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

T.F., that sounds like a cool screen saver. Nature's always better in real life, though. I hope my allergies give up and go away, too. Maybe someday....

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you have not been feeling well. I too have been sick for a week. I think the last time I was sick was over a year-and-a-half so this is making up for it.

It does sound beautiful where you are. Being so far South, I think your seasons are a little behind us in the Midwest as I think most of our leaves have fallen. Stews and chilli's do sound so good this time of year.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Curtis Bates said...

Sorry to hear about the allergies. Mine seem to get worse each year and these days they mainly involve sinus headaches - almost daily until recently. I can take something for it and get a buzz but I don't enjoy it.

I'm bad with my blogs despite plenty of thoughts I could put in them. I could use some scheduling myself - I'll put that on my schedule.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Titus Todd said...

That last comment was mine. Don't know how in the world it came out that way as I don't blog as Curtis.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, I hope you are feeling better now. I got some new sinus pills to take and that seems to be helping. I expect your seasons are a bit ahead of us. Then, too, we've been having an unusually warm fall for the most part.

Curtis/Titus (I think I just about have all your names learned!), that's about what my allergies have done--focused in on my sinuses. And, yes, do put scheduling on your schedule!!! :D

2:22 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

Mary, I hope you're feeling better!

Thanksgiving is usually my time for colds too. This year i have dodged that bullet however, thankfully.

Have a great Thanksgiving! I'm glad I stop by here often. I may not always comment, but I a, always uplifted when stopping by. Thanks!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Hi, chronicler. And thank you. I'm glad you feel uplifted here. I do the same--far more reading than commenting--so I understand how it goes!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Clark Goble said...

You should look at getting the shots. My wife made me. The first two months frankly were hell. I got the shots every Friday and tended to be sick a bit of Saturday and Sunday. But I have really, really bad allergies. But this year I only had to occasionally take some allergy medicine during the spring when the trees were pollenating (my worst allergy) and barely noticed fall (when the sage is pollenating)

It's well worth the initial hassle.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Clark, I haven't wanted to get shots because I didn't want the hassle, but maybe it would help. Thanks for dropping by and for telling me how it worked for you.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Titus Todd said...

What medication are you using, Mary?

And, about the shots, Clark, is that something you have to do regularly?

I'm looking at going to an allergist or something to get my allergies under control. I've spent too much time dealing with the headaches lately (had another round over the weekend). I don't know what it could be this time of year which used to be my allergy suffering free time.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Titus, I just do over-the-counter pills and change around so I don't get resistant to them. I got some Nasacort from the doctor at one time and it worked great at first, but I guess my body gets resistant to that, too, because it gradually worked less and less well. I have heard that irrigating nasal passages/sinuses does wonders, but you'd have to do it every day. Or twice a day. And not drown yourself!

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home