By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Grateful Hearts

Our Heavenly Father appreciates our having grateful hearts. He blesses us so much in so many ways, and it is good to cultivate an awareness of all those blessings.

We live on a beautiful earth. We have a physical body which works in miraculous ways, and although it occasionally lets us down, that's only here in this mortal life. After our resurrection, we will be privileged to enjoy a perfect physical body.

We have all kinds of abilities, talents, intelligence, and knowledge. We have families and friends. We have food, clothing, and shelter. We have necessities and some luxuries. We have jobs and money and transportation.

We have the gospel. We have the church. We have prayer and scriptures and temples. We have the Priesthood. We have the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior and Redeemer. We have a Heavenly Father who loves us very much. We have the Holy Ghost to guide and inspire us.

We have trials and afflictions which help us grow strong spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. These things can help our characters develop so that we reflect goodness and virtue.

I know that not everyone has everything on the list above, but we all have some things to be grateful for. And perhaps we can share with others those things we have in abundance, easing their journey through life, if only a little.

I am glad that so many do pause and think of their blessings during this Thanksgiving season.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Jettboy said...

I want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. This year I have felt to make it as much a religious celebration as the secular eat a Turkey day.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

A Happy Thanksgiving to you, Jettboy! That is a good thing to make it more of a religious celebration, as well as a family get-together-and-eat-a-turkey celebration. After all, who are we more thankful to than Heavenly Father?

A Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends and readers (who have a way of becoming friends!). May you have a wonderful day!

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know it is probably best not to define ourselves against another's shortcomings. However, when I get bitter or hold a grudge I think of someone I heard about who seems to have no personality or ability to take interests in things other than to remember every petty thing done to them. There are others who have negative traits of such a vein and I think of how unbecoming it is. In contrast, I think of lovely and gracious people that I know and how they are a joy to be around. Being gracious is such a beautiful attribute. I know when I do a little something for people that I don't want them to make a huge deal over it. It is nice for them to express from time to time that I brought a smile to their face or made them ponder. It is great to hear I am thankful. I think that is what our Father in Heaven wants. He gives us everything and we need to remember to give him praise and also to pay tithes and fast offerings. Well, I have thought about this as you can tell and hope I fleshed out my thoughts okay.

I do have much that I can give thanks for in my life!

10:09 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

I think it gives our own spirits a lift as well as those around us, if we keep a thankful attitude and count our blessings. And it's always good to share, whether it's in a big way or a small way. Thanks for your insights, Barb!

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home