By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

My Thanksgiving Day

To start with, we had a beautiful day. It was 77 degrees, sunny, and there was a light southerly wind. This was a good thing for two reasons: 1) I had to drive two hours each way for dinner and 2) the kids and dogs could play outside.

Attending the dinner, besides the usual assortment of people, were a black lab named Lex, a fuzzy dog named Maui, a chihuahua named Snowball, and a Boston bull terrier whose name I didn't catch.

We had all the traditional Thanksgiving fare, plus potstickers, rice and veggies wrapped in seaweed, and a very spicy cabbage dish. I forget what those last two are called, but they are good--although the seaweed is a little fishy for my taste. My sister-in-law has two Korean sisters-in-law, so we usually get to enjoy a mix of food types at holidays. One year we had squid--I didn't try it, but my brother said it was good. Another year it was roasted sugared duck. It had a sort of carmelized glaze.

We talked and watched football and played outside. Then I drove home and started emailing friends. The traffic was fairly light today so the interstates weren't as nerve-racking as they can sometimes be.

All in all it was a most pleasant day. In addition, I won't have to eat for several days now.

I don't see my own cousins very often. My sister-in-law's family has become my family. They have taken me in and made me feel every bit as welcome as my brother. They were there for us through my mom's illness and death. I am very thankful for each one of them.


Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger T. F. Stern said...

After everyone has gone home and our grown children are out watching a movie together, we are here sitting with our grand daughter who is not feeling well and has a low grade fever. We just gave her some more children's Tylenol and hope the movie the kids went to is short so she can go sleep in her own bed. I put iTunes on and she enjoys good music and the kalidascope effect on the monitor; hope she feels a little better soon.

I'm tired and ready to crash here in my favorite chair. Glad I don't have to drive home.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Yes, there's a lot to be said for being able to stay home for the celebration. I didn't have to drive too far and I didn't have to cook--I took loaves of Italian bread from Wal-Mart. I hope your granddaughter is feeling better by now.

11:37 PM  
Blogger danithew said...

Kimchi?

5:20 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Yes! That's the spicy cabbage dish. And thanks to your inspiration, I did a search for seaweed and rice and the name of that dish is kimbap. Thanks for the help. I really like kimchi, but it can be really hot so it is best in small amounts and/or mixed with a blander food on your plate. Unless you like really hot food by itself. Mmmmm!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't it great to have that feeling of belonging at these gatherings. I am glad you had a wonderful time!

I was still a little in recovery on Thanksgiving so I stayed home while others went to the gathering. But I enjoyed hearing about it later. They did bring me some leftovers that were most yummy. As I do not eat desserts with sugar anymore as a general rule, my mom tries to get sugar free apple pie for holidays and also for my Birthday. It is one of those special touches.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, I'm sorry you weren't feeling up to par for Thanksgiving, but at least you got some of the goodies! I'm still eating too much sugar, but I've cut down quite a bit.

It is nice to have a place to go where I feel like just one of the family!

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home