By Study and Also By Faith

An LDS (Mormon) blog representing a search for knowledge, understanding, and wisdom.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

On Being Humble

D&C 112:10 Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers.
Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
D&C 136:32-33 Let him that is ignorant learn wisdom by humbling himself and calling upon the Lord his God, that his eyes may be opened that he may see, and his ears opened that he may hear; For my Spirit is sent forth into the world to enlighten the humble and contrite, and to the condemnation of the ungodly.
Matthew 11:29-30 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

These are some of my favorite verses. In them, we learn of blessings that come to us as we humble ourselves. Read through them and see what you think. I know I have a lot of work to do on myself.

Being humble does not mean being unaware of our infinite worth as the children of God, but it does mean being aware of our dependence on our Heavenly Father and also being aware that God's other children are every bit as valuable as we are. It means an absence of conceit and arrogance and vanity. I think, too, that a big part of being humble is being teachable, an important trait in our quest for salvation. You probably have definitions of your own.

Throughout the scriptures, being humble is emphasized, so we know that it is an important virtue to strive for.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger T. F. Stern said...

The talks this Sunday were on Patience and two of your favorite quotes on humility were used; interesting how humlity and patience are tied together, doing things in the Lord's time rather than trying to do everything now.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Mary A said...

That is interesting, T.F., but then again, there is a certain interlocking or crossover or whatever you want to call it between these the various traits we try to develop. I think perhaps it takes a certain amount of humility to be patient and vice versa.

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that I am much more aware of my shortcomings than I used to be. Maybe I will discover present blind spots down the road. I know that I am very dependent on God to get me through the day.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, I've noticed that about myself. As I "grow up" I become more aware of things I need to fix about me! Thankfully, it seems to happen gradually--at different times in my life, I become aware of different things. I, too, am very dependent on our Heavenly Father and I appreciate that He is kind and merciful and longsuffering!

2:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the big 12 championship right now on t.v. with Oklahoma versus Nebraska. I will be humble regardless of the outcome lol.

Go big Red!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Ah, but, Barb, which Big Red?! I didn't watch the game and I haven't heard the outcome yet, but I, too, will be humble regardless of the outcome! Go, Big Red! :D

2:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oklahoma won. Congratulations all who root for Oklahoma!

I found out that the night of my parents first date that Nebraska was playing Oklahoma.

I am pretty sure that the day I was baptized that Nebraska was playing Oklahoma and that the person who introduced me to the Church and baptized me gave up tickets to the game to be able to be there. I guess I am not a big enough football fan. My brother was engaged to be married once and scheduled the wedding on a bye. They broke up after a few year engagement shortly before they would have married. When he did get married to a different woman, they scheduled that on the day of a bye as well. I hope bye as in day of no game is spelled that way. :)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Mary A said...

Barb, I'm not that big of a football fan, either, and I prefer Oklahoma State University to University of Oklahoma, since I went to OSU for awhile, but I do like to see a state school win. Still, I didn't want you to be disappointed, either. OU and Nebraska used to play a lot more often and it was a bigger rivalry then--in the days of Switzer and Osborn. I don't have a clue as to how bye is spelled in that usage. Well, at least we kept our resolve to remain humble, didn't we?!

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home